Monday, June 25, 2012

Time

Today marks 3 weeks since we left the states. On Wednesday, we will have spent 21 days in Africa. I can't believe how fast the time has flown. I have never been so aware of the brief period of time you have in just two months. I want to do all of these things with the kids, but I feel like I'm running out of time. That is something that I have really been struggling with. I started this journey knowing that I had two months to build relationships with these kids. I thought that was plenty of time and yet now I feel like it isn't enough. It's going to be so hard leaving here, not knowing the exact effect I had on these kids' hearts.

Come to think of it, I guess that is how daily life works anyways. You meet someone of the side of the road, in a grocery store, at school/work, etc. and you have this amazing opportunity to tell them about Jesus through your talk or just by a simple act of kindness. But after you have planted that seed, you may never see them again. You never really know how big that seed grew and that's hard. But the amazing thing is that you don't need to be concerned about that because the rest is in God's hands.

1 Corinthians 3: 5-7 says:

What, after all, is Apollos? And what is Paul? Only servants, through whom you came to believe--as the Lord has assigned to each his task. I planted the seed, Apollos watered it, but God made it grow. So neither he who plants nor he who waters is anything, but only God, who makes things grow.

As long as I do my task, God will do the rest. It's good to know that it's not up to me. The seeds that we plant and water while we are here, will grow while we are away. It will be hard not to be able to see that growth first hand, but I'm glad to know that God is in control and not us. I have come to find that he does a much better job of it anyways.

2 comments:

  1. Tara, I love reading your posts. I know how you are feeling thinking about leaving there. That will be the hardest part of the journey. You are doing great works and planting lots of seeds!! And I suspect that the people there have planted seeds in your heart also.....you will never see life again as you did before this trip....enjoy the rest of your stay...we miss you and are praying for you as well as the people you are impacting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen! Our God is so wonderful!

    ReplyDelete